Are you looking after someone else’s child?

Are you looking after someone else’s child?

If you are looking after someone else’s child this may be what is called a Private Fostering arrangement.

Private fostering is different from the type of fostering that most people will be familiar with because private fostering doesn’t require you to make an application to the local authority to be a private foster carer or to do any training.

It covers private arrangements which will last for 28 days or more for children under 16 or under 18 if they have a disability. It includes children sent from abroad to stay with family members, teenagers who may be living with the family of a friend, boyfriend or girlfriend and people living with a host family while they are studying.

If you are going to be looking after someone else’s child for 28 days or more and they are under 16 years of age, then you need to tell the local authority because it has to carry out checks as well as make regular visits to see the child or young person. They can give you lots of advice too.

Did you know:

You may be able to claim Tax Credits, Child Benefit, other specific financial help if the child has a special need as well as practical support

  • To find out more information, please telephone the Access and Advice team : 01782 232200
  • If you are already caring for someone else’s child, please call the Safeguarding Referral Team : 01782 235100